Tuesday 18 July 2017

# Reviews

Book Review - Local Girl Missing (Spoiler Free!)



Synopsis:

The old Victorian pier was once a thing of beauty. It's also where twenty-one-year-old Sophie Collier vanished eighteen years ago.

Francesca has spent the last twenty years haunted by the disappearance of her best friend. But when she receives a phone call from Sophie's brother saying that a body has been found, she knows she can't keep hiding from what happened. With her own secrets to keep, Francesca doesn't relish the idea of digging up the past or returning to Oldcliffe. But it is time to go back to where she grew up, and it looks like she isn't the only one there hiding truths.

Review:

"I've been running from my past. Now the past has caught up with me."

I read this book last October, maybe November, but it remains one of my favourite books. I've spoken about it on my personal Twitter and my Bookstagram before, so I couldn't not review it on my new Book Blog! It's a Mystery and Thriller, two of the genres that I enjoy the most. I brought it in Tesco at around 3pm on a Friday, started reading it straight away, and had finished it by midnight. I could not bring myself to put it down! I'd tell myself, "just one more chapter!" and then something would happen at the end of that chapter, and I'd just have to read on, so I ended up reading it in one sitting.
I have a love-hate relationship with those kinds of books. On one hand, the book is obviously extremely engaging and interesting which is always great, but on the other hand, I get nothing done because I don't want to put it down! When I think of books like this, Local Girl Missing comes to mind straight away.

The book is written in first person, and alternates between the point of view of Francesca in present time, and Sophie leading up to when she disappeared 18 years ago. I really connected with the characters, especially Sophie who I felt so sympathetic for, and was so shocked by the outcome. The lead character, Francesca, was also a character that I felt I really bonded with, I felt her pain over losing her best friend, and despite her flaws (who doesn't have flaws?!) I really liked her. This review is spoiler free, so I won't tell what happens, all I'll say is that I definitely did NOT see it coming, which is another thing I like about a book. A lot of the time, I'll be able to predict the ending, so it's always a nice surprise when I get it wrong!

Overall, Claire Douglas' Local Girl Missing is a gripping Psychological Thriller that I will most likely re-read sooner or later. I love the way Douglas writes, from the descriptions of places and characters to the fascinating plot. As soon as I'd finished the book, I rushed down stairs to talk to my family about it, despite me being the only one who actually reads in my house, and gushed about how shocking and brilliant the book was. I probably annoyed them quite about with the amount that I went on about it! In my opinion, it is everything anyone would want in a Thriller. I could actually see it being made into a movie, although I'm sure the book would be better. It always is.
Claire Douglas has also written two other books, her debut novel, The Sisters, and her newest book which was published recently, Last Seen Alive. As soon as I get paid, I'm ordering both as I love Douglas' writing!

I'd definitely recommend Local Girl Missing to anyone who loves a good Mystery/Psychological Thriller.
A very well deserved 5 stars from me!



Books&Belle xx


18 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing and just the kind of book I like to read! Definitely going to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I can't wait to read this! I love those genres too, I think it's because I'm so nervous when I read them that I can't put them down until I find out what's happened! Will definitely be buying this! Love a good twist :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just put this on my list, this sounds like a great read! Nothing better than a book where you can really connect with the characters and I love some suspense in the mix too :)
    Alice Xx
    blacktulipbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh this book sounds great! I love mystery genre stories so I'll have to check this out; great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really should, it's an amazing book!

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting. Will keep in mind to check it out. Great review btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. Will keep in mind to check it out. Great review btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so interesting, I'm not much of a thriller reader, but with the description you gave it, I may give it a go sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Hope you enjoy it if you do!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like the sorta book I'd get hooked on but also regret reading as I'd get freaked out! I'm so tempted to read it though and find out what happened!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does get you hooked! I didn't find this one too creepy, it definitely didn't keep me up at night thinking about it like others have done, which I was actually happy about! You should read it if you get the time x

      Delete
  9. I'm looking for a new book to get myself back into reading, and this sounds like my kind of thing for sure! might have to make a cheeky order

    Marty
    www.ChampagneAndCheese.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to order it!

      Delete
  10. Oh how I want to read this so bad! X
    Lola Mia // http://www.lolitabonita.co.uk

    ReplyDelete